Wednesday, March 24, 2010

No Pain, No Gain

I am SO sore. My legs hurt, my shoulders hurt, my arms hurt, my back hurts, muscles I was not even aware of hurt, EVERY THING hurts. I can barely type this blog post as my forearms hurt in a way I never thought possible. This morning it took two hands to grab the gallon of milk from the refrigerator and putting my socks on was excruciating.

What you ask is responsible for such pain?
Well...it all started with the decision not to do a full garden this year, so the huge lime stone rocks we used to create the garden needed a new home and my girlfriend Darlyne volunteered to take them off our hands. It's a win, win situation right?

Therefore, yesterday while the kids were at school Darlyne and I decided to tackle the rocks and get them from our house to hers. She showed up prepared with her husband's truck, a shovel, gloves, a wheelbarrow and a great attitude. One thing I do not think she realized was just how big and heavy these rocks were going to be.

There were 32 rocks in all and our system went something like this; dig up rock, lift into wheelbarrow, haul to the front yard (which is not a hop, skip and a jump), lift into truck and repeat. It literally took both of us to lift each rock; this was clearly not a single woman job. Because the rocks were so heavy (and we were not sure just how much weight her husband's truck could hold) we ended up taking half a load to her house and unloading them in her back yard and then came back to get the second half.

Needless to say; in the middle of all our hard work, high fivin' each other and patting ourselves on the back my dear husband calls from Singapore. I proudly tell him what we are doing and the conversation goes something like this:

Me: "How heavy do you think these rocks are?"

His response: "Oh, about 40 pounds."

Me: "What? No way...they weigh more than that."

Him: "Okay, maybe 50 pounds."

Me: "No, it is taking both me and Darlyne to lift them. They have to weigh more than that."

Him: "Don't think so."

So don't you know the minute we hung up the phone I decided we were weighing the next rock. We took a little detour to the garage scale (which resembles the one's in the doctors office that never lie) and weighed our rock. 




81 POUNDS

No wonder I am SO sore. I am just scared of tomorrow (for me the second day is always the worst.)

2 comments:

Staci said...

Girl, you are craaazy!! I could tell just by looking at them that that's a MAN'S job!

Now, go have a nice stiff drink. On the rocks.
;)

dboat said...

Nice job..I knew they were super heavy, I put them there.