It has been two full weeks since I started back to work full-time and I must admit the change was a little harder than I expected. The first week was really non eventful. I was awaiting system access and security clearance so there was not much to do but sit. I never anticipated sitting in a chair 7-8 hours a day would drive me absolutely crazy, especially since I did it for years before kids and never had an issue. I never realized how little I actually sat before when I was at home. Although things were slow-going at work, our home life became extra crazy. It probably was not the best week to start a new job. Braden turned two the day I started back to work and had his two-year check up on my second day back (which was the only appointment I have ever missed). Then on Wednesday evening Brynn and I made cupcakes for her class at school to celebrate her birthday for Thursday. Brynn's actual 4th birthday was Friday and G-ma, Grandpa Jerry and Erin arrived late Friday night (around 11ish) just in time for the birthday bash on Saturday. All week long I was constantly on the go, picking up stuff for the party, getting birthday presents, cakes, goodie bags put together, etc. Throw in Danny working at night, getting lunches ready, getting clothes ready, two hours of traffic per day, finding time to have a conversation with my husband, play with the kids and ....well you get the point.
With that said my second week did get better. I received most of my access and was actually able to start working. Time is going by a little faster at work and I am adapting to sitting. I do find myself drinking lots of water...it gives me a reason to get up every hour and stretch my legs. Things have started to slow down at the house as well. Danny is handling being a stay-at-home dad with ease. I am so lucky to come home to a clean house and dinner every night so far. Right now I am feeling a little 'showed up'. Last week he encountered his first challenge when he had to take Brynn to her four-year check up. Anytime shots are involved (she received four) it is a HUGE ordeal. To make matters worse I was not able to meet him (like I had originally planned) and he had Braden along for the ride. Long story short, there was lots of screaming, crying, excessive drama, but he pulled through. Brynn makes these types of visits heart-breaking and for my sake, I am kind of glad I had to miss it. He's doing a great job.
I have mixed emotions about working full-time and being away from the kids. I miss my time with them a little more than I thought I would. Some mornings I am gone before they wake and when I get home (between 5:30 and 6:00 pm) it is a rush to eat dinner, play, get baths, read stories and get them in bed all by 8:30 pm. The hardest part is missing the little things they do throughout the day that made me giggle to myself. I have no idea how working mom’s do it. I am working on finding a good balance.
I don’t want to end this post on a sad note, so I would like to list a few positive things that have happened over the last couple of weeks I do enjoy….like say for instance, eating a full HOT meal without being interrupted or better yet, not having to share any of my food. I have also had several conversations with adults about ‘adult’ things without any interruptions. I get to listen to anything I want on the radio. I am catching up with my old radio show in the morning, JB &Sandy and listening to loud music (that just might have a few curse words) on my way home. Oh and the most important….I get to pee by myself!
With that said my second week did get better. I received most of my access and was actually able to start working. Time is going by a little faster at work and I am adapting to sitting. I do find myself drinking lots of water...it gives me a reason to get up every hour and stretch my legs. Things have started to slow down at the house as well. Danny is handling being a stay-at-home dad with ease. I am so lucky to come home to a clean house and dinner every night so far. Right now I am feeling a little 'showed up'. Last week he encountered his first challenge when he had to take Brynn to her four-year check up. Anytime shots are involved (she received four) it is a HUGE ordeal. To make matters worse I was not able to meet him (like I had originally planned) and he had Braden along for the ride. Long story short, there was lots of screaming, crying, excessive drama, but he pulled through. Brynn makes these types of visits heart-breaking and for my sake, I am kind of glad I had to miss it. He's doing a great job.
I have mixed emotions about working full-time and being away from the kids. I miss my time with them a little more than I thought I would. Some mornings I am gone before they wake and when I get home (between 5:30 and 6:00 pm) it is a rush to eat dinner, play, get baths, read stories and get them in bed all by 8:30 pm. The hardest part is missing the little things they do throughout the day that made me giggle to myself. I have no idea how working mom’s do it. I am working on finding a good balance.
I don’t want to end this post on a sad note, so I would like to list a few positive things that have happened over the last couple of weeks I do enjoy….like say for instance, eating a full HOT meal without being interrupted or better yet, not having to share any of my food. I have also had several conversations with adults about ‘adult’ things without any interruptions. I get to listen to anything I want on the radio. I am catching up with my old radio show in the morning, JB &Sandy and listening to loud music (that just might have a few curse words) on my way home. Oh and the most important….I get to pee by myself!
3 comments:
I thought you drank tons of water before. Are you telling me you are drinking MORE water now that you're working outside the home? No wonder the peeing by yourself is such a huge accomplishment:) Love you Girl. You do realize that you are an official Super Mom don't you:) I'm proud of you
D
You are a total rock star, my friend. And even on the days when you're feeling more like a rock star with a hangover, that's okay, too. I'm super impressed :)
I am so lucky to have to great gals in my corner!! Thanks for the support ladies.
Post a Comment