Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Breaking Tradition

Typically in past years I have made a handful of resolutions to triumph over only to be let down by no one other than myself. The forgotten resolutions would end up on next year’s list and so on. This year when I started thinking about resolutions I would make for 2010 this past November I realized I was writing the word exercise on my list for the third year in a row. At that moment I stopped and asked myself why am I doing this? I put my pen down and walked away. From that day forward I have struggled with my 'why' that is holding me back from accomplishing my goals.

I found my answer in the strangest place; recently I was catching up with on one of my favorite blogs, Ali Edwards and came across a concept she adopted several years ago. One Little Word. The notion is to choose a word to focus and reflect upon as you go about your daily life. Live that word. Then each year a new word is chosen and so on.

I was completely inspired by this concept and when I finished reading Ali's post one word in particular stood out to me. It was a word I was very familiar with pre-motherhood. It is my why and the reason I believe I am not reaching my goals. So this year I have decided to kick New Year's Resolutions to the curb and focus on one little word: Balance.

Thinking about my word and what it means to me, I came up with the following:

Balance is Quality time spent w/ family.
Balance is Organization.
Balance is Calm.
Balance is Creativity.
Balance is Time w/ friends.
Balance is Faith
Balance is Freedom.
Balance is Change.
Balance is Peace.

So over the course of 2010 I will be focusing on achieving a good balance in my life.  I am excited about this journey and as you continue to visit my blog you will witness the progress made. Wish me luck!

No comments: