Thursday, February 4, 2010

Saying Grace

For the past month, Brynn has been requesting we give thanks by saying grace before each meal; although she wants this to be part of our daily routine, she in no way wants any part of presenting. Therefore, by default Danny ended up with the "job" until recently when Braden decided he wanted to try it and uttered these words as he bowed his head:

"Dear God,

Thank you for this food. (look up)

Thank you for Mommy (looking at me, pause)

and Daddy (looking at Danny, pause)

and Brynn (looking at Brynn)

The End." (bow head).

Short, sweet and straight to the point.


Then about a week ago, Brynn decided she would go ahead and try it and this was her version:

"Dear Lord, Our Father, Our God,

Thank you so much for the food we are about to eat.

Thank you for our beautiful earth and the people who keep it clean by throwing their trash in the trash cans.

Thank you for all the animals, the air we are breathing, the trees and the flowers.

Thank you for my family, my mommy, my daddy, Braden, G-ma, Grandpa Jerry, Aunt Erin, Uncle Aaron, Me-maw, Papa and anyone else I forgot because I have a big family.

Me: (whispering), okay honey we need to wrap it up.

Thank you for my friends and teachers.

Thank you for my toys.

Thank you for the world.

Amen."

Now, this was a big moment for Brynn, as she finally worked up the courage to say grace and obviously thought a lot about whom and what she was thankful for.

With that said, I am going to back track for a moment and go back to the part where Brynn was giving thanks for her family. At this point Braden became fidgety in his chair waiting for his sister to 'wrap it up' and when she began thanking God for the family and reached Braden's name I believe he thought she was finished and was waiting for "the end" (as he would put it), but instead she continued and it went something like this:

Brynn: Thank you for my family, my mommy, my daddy and Braden (pause),

Byrnn: and G-ma

Braden: (with his head still bowed) She's not here,

Brynn: and Grandpa Jerry

Braden: He's not here

Brynn: Aunt Erin

Braden: She's not here either

Brynn: Uncle Aaron and Keely

Braden: Their not here, Brynn

Brynn: Me-maw and Papa

Braden: THEIR NOT HERE

Brynn: And anyone else I forgot because I have a big family.

Braden: Just say The End, Brynn!

Brynn was completely annoyed at him and told him he was being rude. Danny reprimanded him and me....well, I was doing everything in my power not to laugh, (I know that's awful) I could feel the corners of my mouth turning up and I was praying I could hold it in. It was one of those moments as a parent when you know you should not laugh, but just could not help yourself (don't worry I manage to hold it together), but I would have given anything to have a video camera running just to have the audio.

In the meantime, we are going to be working with Braden on his manners :o)

2 comments:

Dianne said...

Wow! What a prayer for such a little girl! I can just see Braden telling her to "just say the end!"

Mom

Dixie said...

Listening to children pray is so powerful. They see the world through eyes that are so fresh and simple. That's why Jesus says we should become like children in our faith. They are good teachers.

Thanks for sharing this sweet story.