Maybe you missed me the past few weeks; or you may not have even realized I was gone. Anyhow...now that I have come out from under my rock, let me explain myself.
It started exactly two months ago (August 7th) when I had the pleasure of having my first mammogram (which took 4 doctors, 5 sonograms, several calls to the insurance company and nearly two years).
Backing up even further....about the same time I found out I was pregnant with Braden, I also found a lump under my left arm close to my breast area. At the time I brought it to the attention of my OB/GYN and General Practitioner who both recommended a sonogram. So I had sonogram after sonogram; results always being "normal". Last fall I had noticed the lump appeared larger and contacted my GP. This time I went in with lots of questions and demanded a mammogram. I still got the run-around. No one could (or did) tell me what the lump was. I became tired of hearing...you’re too young to have breast cancer; you have no "real" family history, blah, blah, blah. In January our insurance plan changed and so did my doctor. I struck out a few times finding a doctor who agreed with me (the age and no family history story), but finally this summer I found one that did.
My appointment took forever. I had the mammogram first followed by a sonogram. It was the sonogram that took so long. The technician left the room several times to consult with a “person on the outside”. At one point when she came back in the room I finally asked if we were finished. That’s when she hit me with, “We have a few more areas we need to look at”. What? So I laid back down while she examined the opposite breast I came in for. At this point I was pretty confused and asked what she was looking for. For those of you who have had a sonogram know there is a “secret code” technicians speak in, which equals squat. Anyhow....when I was finally able to get dressed she then tells me, “The doctor would like to speak with you”. Okay...I was not expecting this.
It started exactly two months ago (August 7th) when I had the pleasure of having my first mammogram (which took 4 doctors, 5 sonograms, several calls to the insurance company and nearly two years).
Backing up even further....about the same time I found out I was pregnant with Braden, I also found a lump under my left arm close to my breast area. At the time I brought it to the attention of my OB/GYN and General Practitioner who both recommended a sonogram. So I had sonogram after sonogram; results always being "normal". Last fall I had noticed the lump appeared larger and contacted my GP. This time I went in with lots of questions and demanded a mammogram. I still got the run-around. No one could (or did) tell me what the lump was. I became tired of hearing...you’re too young to have breast cancer; you have no "real" family history, blah, blah, blah. In January our insurance plan changed and so did my doctor. I struck out a few times finding a doctor who agreed with me (the age and no family history story), but finally this summer I found one that did.
My appointment took forever. I had the mammogram first followed by a sonogram. It was the sonogram that took so long. The technician left the room several times to consult with a “person on the outside”. At one point when she came back in the room I finally asked if we were finished. That’s when she hit me with, “We have a few more areas we need to look at”. What? So I laid back down while she examined the opposite breast I came in for. At this point I was pretty confused and asked what she was looking for. For those of you who have had a sonogram know there is a “secret code” technicians speak in, which equals squat. Anyhow....when I was finally able to get dressed she then tells me, “The doctor would like to speak with you”. Okay...I was not expecting this.
Not too much longer.....I heard the dreaded words that no one ever wants to hear "The good news is" followed by "and the bad news is". I remember thinking surely this guy is not going to tell me I have cancer. In that moment (before anything was even said) I must have played out several scenarios in my head.
My good news....he believed the area under my left arm to be Lipoma (a fatty tumor) and the bad news they found two other lumps (one in each breast) and they were abnormally shaped. He suggested I see a breast surgeon and advised a needle biopsy. I walked out of his office feeling okay...this is going to be fine...it is what it is....I will deal with it. Whatever I need to do I will.
My "great" attitude lasted all of a few days. (For those of you who know me well, you know I always prepare for the worst). I made my appointment with the surgeon for the needle biopsy, but could not get in until the 8th of September. The wait seemed like forever. On the morning of the appointment Danny went with me. We met Dr. Marquez whose was really nice. She was very patient with me and answered all of my crazy questions. She did a sonogram in the office and found yet another lump (GEEZE!). After a lot of discussion the decision was made to do a surgical removal of the lumps with a full biopsy instead of the needle biopsy. The lump under my arm was already double the size of what she recommended to be removed and she felt there was no reason for me to go through the biopsy process twice. We agreed. So it was as easy as that.....surgery. And of course this meant more waiting. (Something I should have been completely used to by now.)
Surgery was scheduled and happened on the 4th of October. It was a really LONG wait and I am happy to say it is over. I was out of it the first day or so and really sore, but a huge cloud lifted yesterday when I finally received my negative results. The tumor under my arm was indeed Lipoma and the two lumps removed from my right breast were Fibro adenomas which are benign breast tumors. I am SO relieved. This was by far the scariest thing I have gone through. I was not scared for myself as much as I was scared for my children and Danny. Just the thought of being sick and not being able to do all the things I needed to for them was so completely overwhelming to me.
I know there are a lot of women out there that are not as lucky as I am and my heart goes out to them. This process has changed me and made me realized how one trip to the doctor can change your life. It never really hit me before now. I am not going to lie….I was scared and I was angry. I was angry at myself for not standing my ground in the beginning and waiting so long to get my answers. I read several stories of other women who did similiar things I did and were not so lucky. I could not help but to think that could be me. I will definitely speak up in the future regarding what I want for my health and takes steps to protect it. I have a follow-up mammogram in February and will not miss it for nothing.
I guess I really wanted to share this with everyone because through this process I read a lot about breast cancer (thanks to the web) and was astounded by the number of women it effects and will effect. I think if you make yourself familiar with this disease you will be amazed as I was.
My good news....he believed the area under my left arm to be Lipoma (a fatty tumor) and the bad news they found two other lumps (one in each breast) and they were abnormally shaped. He suggested I see a breast surgeon and advised a needle biopsy. I walked out of his office feeling okay...this is going to be fine...it is what it is....I will deal with it. Whatever I need to do I will.
My "great" attitude lasted all of a few days. (For those of you who know me well, you know I always prepare for the worst). I made my appointment with the surgeon for the needle biopsy, but could not get in until the 8th of September. The wait seemed like forever. On the morning of the appointment Danny went with me. We met Dr. Marquez whose was really nice. She was very patient with me and answered all of my crazy questions. She did a sonogram in the office and found yet another lump (GEEZE!). After a lot of discussion the decision was made to do a surgical removal of the lumps with a full biopsy instead of the needle biopsy. The lump under my arm was already double the size of what she recommended to be removed and she felt there was no reason for me to go through the biopsy process twice. We agreed. So it was as easy as that.....surgery. And of course this meant more waiting. (Something I should have been completely used to by now.)
Surgery was scheduled and happened on the 4th of October. It was a really LONG wait and I am happy to say it is over. I was out of it the first day or so and really sore, but a huge cloud lifted yesterday when I finally received my negative results. The tumor under my arm was indeed Lipoma and the two lumps removed from my right breast were Fibro adenomas which are benign breast tumors. I am SO relieved. This was by far the scariest thing I have gone through. I was not scared for myself as much as I was scared for my children and Danny. Just the thought of being sick and not being able to do all the things I needed to for them was so completely overwhelming to me.
I know there are a lot of women out there that are not as lucky as I am and my heart goes out to them. This process has changed me and made me realized how one trip to the doctor can change your life. It never really hit me before now. I am not going to lie….I was scared and I was angry. I was angry at myself for not standing my ground in the beginning and waiting so long to get my answers. I read several stories of other women who did similiar things I did and were not so lucky. I could not help but to think that could be me. I will definitely speak up in the future regarding what I want for my health and takes steps to protect it. I have a follow-up mammogram in February and will not miss it for nothing.
I guess I really wanted to share this with everyone because through this process I read a lot about breast cancer (thanks to the web) and was astounded by the number of women it effects and will effect. I think if you make yourself familiar with this disease you will be amazed as I was.
2 comments:
I read this with tears in my eyes. What a time you have had, my friend. I am so glad that after all the waiting, tests, surgery, etc. that you received such great news!
You've inspired me to be more pro-active with my own health. You rock!
I'm so glad you have hung in there. I know that the waiting can be excruciating. I hope you feel light and carefree for the next few months! You certainly deserve it. I'll talk to you soon
Love
D
By the way
I found Shioney and Enisha on facebook!
Post a Comment