
I spent my entire mornings both yesterday and today at the pediatrician’s office. Yesterday it was Braden and today was only suppose to be a quick drop-off of urine and a short follow-up (to get the results) Instead it was 2 1/2 hours, chaos, purchase of a nebulizer and a trip to Walgreens pharmacy.
Let me back-track a little and try to do this with the short version:
Braden has been sick on and off for a little over a week with some on and off symptoms. I finally decided to take him to the doctor yesterday. His doctor wanted to do a blood and urine sample to rule out anything serious. Braden of course did not cooperate for the urine sample so I got the pleasure of doing it at home.
So this morning the plan was to deliver the urine sample and get results. I called ahead to let them know we were on our way and to see if Dr. C had time to see Brynn as well. On Monday she woke up with a slight cough that now sounded horrible and since we were going to be there anyway, I figured it would save us a trip later.
We arrive at the office and are seen right away. Braden's tests come back normal - great news except we still are not sure what is causing the vomiting and low-grade fever. So we watch him and we wait.
Next she wants a urine sample from Brynn (we went to Emergency-care two weeks ago and had a UTI and bladder infection and she wanted to make sure it was cleared up ~ a whole other story). Getting the urine sample was a complete and utter mess. I won't go into details, but it involved a change of clothes for Brynn (that I luckily had in the car), me cleaning up urine off the floor and myself (Yuk!) while Braden destroyed the changing table full of diapers and wipes. A finger slammed in the door and tons of tears. (Ohh...the joys of motherhood!)
Once we were changed and back in the office, Dr. C listens to Brynn as she takes deep breathes. And she listens...and she listens....and she listens (okay you get the point).
She finally looks up at me and says, "She's wheezing."
Me: "What?"
Doctor: "Has she complained of her chest hurting?"
Me: "No, this morning she was telling me her heart beats fast." (I didn't think anything of it because last week at school she learned about her heart, so I just thought she was making conversation.)
Doctor: "I want to do a breathing treatment on her now and listen to her again."
So now I am trying to convince Brynn to strapped this mask to her face and breathe 'normal' for TEN minutes. Have you met my daughter? This is the sort of thing that just might send her over the edge. Not to mention the 22 month old destroyer I have in the room with me....I was SO not looking forward to this. And then I remembered my friend Staci telling me about how she gives her kids candy during portrait sessions to ensure perfect smiles. A few seconds later, Braden is sucking on a lollipop and I am bribing Brynn with one to put the mask on and take the medicine. We did not get the actual mask on, but she agreed to hold it to her face and breathe. I was happy with that. (Thanks Staci!)
A few moments later Dr. C is back in and listening to Brynn again. She looks up and says, "No more wheezing."
Me: "That's it."
Doctor: "She was having a small asthma attack and something trigger it." "Has anything changed with her?"
Me: "I am not sure; she woke up on Monday morning with a slight cough, nothing else. This morning it sounded even worse and that is why I brought her in with me."
Doctor: "It's a good thing, but something is really bothering her."
Me: "Oh my (a light bulb goes off in my head), could it be Lacy?"
Doctor: "Excuse me?"
Me: "We just got a puppy on Sunday. Do you think it is the dog?"
Doctor: "Sounds like it might be."
You can only imagine where this went from here and I should have never said anything in front of Brynn. She was really upset and made it very clear it was not Lacy to me and Dr. C that is making her sick. Poor little girl...she has wanted this puppy for so long and it will be horrible if she is allergic to her.
For all of our sakes, I am praying it is not Lacy and is just a coincidence. Dr. C told us to find a temporary home for Lacy for the next few days, clean the house really well including all the linens, continue with the nebulizer and come back on Friday to see her. If Brynn is better, we can then introduce Lacy back in the picture and see what happens.
We have followed all of the doctor’s orders and Lacy is staying with some friends of ours (thanks Mistin, Edy and Sunee) for the next few days. I can only hope this all goes well or we will have one broken hearted little girl on our hands!
Let me back-track a little and try to do this with the short version:
Braden has been sick on and off for a little over a week with some on and off symptoms. I finally decided to take him to the doctor yesterday. His doctor wanted to do a blood and urine sample to rule out anything serious. Braden of course did not cooperate for the urine sample so I got the pleasure of doing it at home.
So this morning the plan was to deliver the urine sample and get results. I called ahead to let them know we were on our way and to see if Dr. C had time to see Brynn as well. On Monday she woke up with a slight cough that now sounded horrible and since we were going to be there anyway, I figured it would save us a trip later.
We arrive at the office and are seen right away. Braden's tests come back normal - great news except we still are not sure what is causing the vomiting and low-grade fever. So we watch him and we wait.
Next she wants a urine sample from Brynn (we went to Emergency-care two weeks ago and had a UTI and bladder infection and she wanted to make sure it was cleared up ~ a whole other story). Getting the urine sample was a complete and utter mess. I won't go into details, but it involved a change of clothes for Brynn (that I luckily had in the car), me cleaning up urine off the floor and myself (Yuk!) while Braden destroyed the changing table full of diapers and wipes. A finger slammed in the door and tons of tears. (Ohh...the joys of motherhood!)
Once we were changed and back in the office, Dr. C listens to Brynn as she takes deep breathes. And she listens...and she listens....and she listens (okay you get the point).
She finally looks up at me and says, "She's wheezing."
Me: "What?"
Doctor: "Has she complained of her chest hurting?"
Me: "No, this morning she was telling me her heart beats fast." (I didn't think anything of it because last week at school she learned about her heart, so I just thought she was making conversation.)
Doctor: "I want to do a breathing treatment on her now and listen to her again."
So now I am trying to convince Brynn to strapped this mask to her face and breathe 'normal' for TEN minutes. Have you met my daughter? This is the sort of thing that just might send her over the edge. Not to mention the 22 month old destroyer I have in the room with me....I was SO not looking forward to this. And then I remembered my friend Staci telling me about how she gives her kids candy during portrait sessions to ensure perfect smiles. A few seconds later, Braden is sucking on a lollipop and I am bribing Brynn with one to put the mask on and take the medicine. We did not get the actual mask on, but she agreed to hold it to her face and breathe. I was happy with that. (Thanks Staci!)
A few moments later Dr. C is back in and listening to Brynn again. She looks up and says, "No more wheezing."
Me: "That's it."
Doctor: "She was having a small asthma attack and something trigger it." "Has anything changed with her?"
Me: "I am not sure; she woke up on Monday morning with a slight cough, nothing else. This morning it sounded even worse and that is why I brought her in with me."
Doctor: "It's a good thing, but something is really bothering her."
Me: "Oh my (a light bulb goes off in my head), could it be Lacy?"
Doctor: "Excuse me?"
Me: "We just got a puppy on Sunday. Do you think it is the dog?"
Doctor: "Sounds like it might be."
You can only imagine where this went from here and I should have never said anything in front of Brynn. She was really upset and made it very clear it was not Lacy to me and Dr. C that is making her sick. Poor little girl...she has wanted this puppy for so long and it will be horrible if she is allergic to her.
For all of our sakes, I am praying it is not Lacy and is just a coincidence. Dr. C told us to find a temporary home for Lacy for the next few days, clean the house really well including all the linens, continue with the nebulizer and come back on Friday to see her. If Brynn is better, we can then introduce Lacy back in the picture and see what happens.
We have followed all of the doctor’s orders and Lacy is staying with some friends of ours (thanks Mistin, Edy and Sunee) for the next few days. I can only hope this all goes well or we will have one broken hearted little girl on our hands!
Keep your fingers crossed for us!
2 comments:
I am so sorry for you, Brynn, and Braden! I hope the dog gets to stay.
Oh no! I'm so bummed for you! Keep us posted on the progress...
Post a Comment