
One of the hardest things about living a wheat-free lifestyle is my 'sweet tooth'. It has been a little over three weeks and I have almost been completely wheat-free. (I screwed up once and ate Sonic....but it was bound to happen, so maybe I should not say 'completely'.) I am already noticing some differences; I have more energy and have actually lost some weight (which is encouraging), but if the truth be told I am REALLY missing brownies and cookies.
Don't get my wrong, I know gluten-free brownies exist, but they range from $6-$8 a box and so far I can not bring myself to spend that kind of money on a box of brownies when I have no idea how they are going to taste. And taking a chance on some random recipe on the web can be really expensive when your 1lb 6 oz bag of gluten-free flour cost $7; needless to say picking the right recipe is crucial.
So this weekend my mom was in town and just so happen to have a recipe for a gluten-free Cocoa-Cola Cake (funny how mom's always know what you need....even when your 33.) We made the cake today which consisted of a lot more work than cracking two eggs, adding 1/4 cup of oil and stirring. Thankfully she clued me in on the Gluten-free flour mix (even if it is expensive) eliminating a few steps of mixing several flours together. Our cake turned much better than I expected; it was really rich and moist (unlike the disasters I have heard and read about).
I will definitely make it again. So cakes, cookies and brownies are back in the picture (just not as often)…..and I can’t wait to try another recipe.
Don't get my wrong, I know gluten-free brownies exist, but they range from $6-$8 a box and so far I can not bring myself to spend that kind of money on a box of brownies when I have no idea how they are going to taste. And taking a chance on some random recipe on the web can be really expensive when your 1lb 6 oz bag of gluten-free flour cost $7; needless to say picking the right recipe is crucial.
So this weekend my mom was in town and just so happen to have a recipe for a gluten-free Cocoa-Cola Cake (funny how mom's always know what you need....even when your 33.) We made the cake today which consisted of a lot more work than cracking two eggs, adding 1/4 cup of oil and stirring. Thankfully she clued me in on the Gluten-free flour mix (even if it is expensive) eliminating a few steps of mixing several flours together. Our cake turned much better than I expected; it was really rich and moist (unlike the disasters I have heard and read about).
I will definitely make it again. So cakes, cookies and brownies are back in the picture (just not as often)…..and I can’t wait to try another recipe.
2 comments:
Yummy! That looks delish. Was it your pic of the day? ;)
It sure was. I have been slacking on posting them, but I have been keeping up. Some days I think I have bit off more than I can chew.
Post a Comment